Author Topic: Subject  (Read 1136 times)

mltadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Subject
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »
Parkour is the art of movement and the physical discipline of overcoming obstacles that one may encounter in daily life. From a small group of practitioners just finding their way through an urban landscape, Parkour has grown into an international discipline with people across borders finding resonance with the physicality of Parkour and also the mental agility that goes with it. In a short span of 20 years, Parkour has expanded from France, to every city and town across the world.

Having been introduced to Parkour eight years back through some YouTube videos, I have been practicing across Chennai and having fun. As with any art form, regular practice and involvement gave me insights unlike any other and I wished to take it to a larger group of people. A group of like-minded people came together through providence and it was a wonderful experience training and sharing knowledge. Chennai Parkour was formed to formalize the structure of our training group.

Parkour is an art form in its infancy and we realized the need to work with other art forms to gain more insight and a different perspective. This made us search for a discipline every bit as ancient as time and also true to our people. The advantage was that we realized we could give an unique perspective to Parkour by looking at it through another set of eyes.
The search drove us to the shores of Magic Lantern and it was sheer luck that Mr.Hans Kaushik agreed to meet me for an informal chat and his level of enthusiasm and energy was infectious. The idea of taking Parkour into the play, one that is steeped in history as Ponniyin Selvan was something that could not be passed up. That is how the journey started, with the Chennai Parkour team visiting a rehearsal by Magic Lantern who have been training for more than two months at that point of time in preparation for the play.

It was rewarding to see so many people come together with so much passion and giving it their all for the sake of a common dream. Something that we could associate with in our Parkour group. That has carried over with one of team taking an active role in the play as an actor and conducting Parkour sessions every week for the actors. It has been an enriching experience so far to see how theatre could take Parkour in its fold and Parkour could learn so much from theatre.

There are just too many things happening every day to write about in one go. I would like to share my experiences with the community out there in a series of posts over the period leading to our premiere show. I would prefer to see people read these posts as a lead up to the event so that they can approach the play with a different and richer perspective.